Turner Cemetery is located at the edge of a field south of 450N. between 200W. and State Road 19. It measures approximately 60 by 100 feet in size.
The earliest proven burial was that of 15 year old Meshack Turner, the son of Meshack and Sarah Turner. He was killed November 2, 1849 by a tree that fell on him while clearing farm land.
Meshack Turner buried his son on land that had not yet been entered from the United States government. He mistakenly buried young Meshack on land just north of his property. This ground, today, is owned by descendants of the Hawkins family since November of 1857 when it was deeded to brothers, Jehu and Charles Hawkins.
The cemetery contains perhaps 30 graves, many of which are unmarked. All marked graves have both a headstone and a footstone. The last person to be buried here was Mary Ann "Mollie" (Brookbank) Alumbaugh in 1877. Ira O'Banion, early Tipton County historian, reported that members of the Campbell, Chism, Cox, McGuire and Smiley families are also buried here. Members of the Mills family may or may not be buried here.
A-Z | Cemetery Map